Saturday, August 20, 2011

Chunky Monkey or Coco Loco Banana Bread


I think everyone has a favorite banana bread recipe.  I know I do – its from The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook. I particularly love it because it has coconut in it and anything with coconut I just adore.  I adapted the recipe, ever so slightly, as it calls for pecans and I put in peanut butter chocolate chips instead.  You can adapt your fav banana bread to include coconut and chocolate chips instead of using the one below. I love these President Choice mini chips – they come in three flavors – fudge, caramel and peanut butter – each is yummy and could work in this recipe.

Recipe:

3 cups flour
1½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp cinnamon
¾ tsp salt
¾ cup canola oil
1½ cups sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature, well beaten
1½ tsp vanilla
1½ cups mashed ripe bananas (approx. 4 depending on the size)
¾ cup sour cream
¾ cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 to 1½ cups of chocolate peanut butter or other chips for a nut free alternative

Instructions:

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.

Grease and lightly flour a 1-=inch tube pan – this makes a big cake which is super if you are having people for brunch.  I have also make it as 3 medium sized loafs – I use one and freeze the others.

Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt – set aside.

In a large electric mixer bowl, beat together the oil and sugar.  Add the eggs and vanilla, beat until well combined.  Add the bananas and sour cream and mix really well.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. 

Stir in (by hand) the coconut and peanut butter chips. 

Pour the batter into the prepared pan (or pans).

Bake for 60-70 minutes (45-55 if using smaller pans), or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the bread comes out with moist crumbs attached.

Let cool for at least 1 hour before removing from the pan and serving.

--
I was not sure if the name should be coco loco (because of the coconut) OR chunky monkey (because of the whole banana and chocolate thing).  Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE MAGNOLIA SO MUCH (Have you tried their peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies?!?!?!)!!!! And I think I like "coco loco" better. I have some very ripe bananas in my kitchen right now... this may be what I use them for!

    ReplyDelete