Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sorta Salted Caramel Chocolate Chips 'cause Santa is a Foodie


I’m quite sure that Santa is a foodie.  I truly believe that “between season” he spends lots of time sipping on ice wine while cooking and baking with Mrs. Claus.  I don’t want to spread rumors but I’ve heard he is into trendy venison burgers and cool maple bacon snowcones.  And I know for a fact that he would never turn down anything that incorporates the latest salted caramel craze.

You know I love that salty sweet thang – ala the Sweet & Salty Chocolate Pretzel Shortbread – and so does Santa.

So I made him these sorta salted caramel chocolate chip cookies and here is how I made them.

Ingredients: 

2 ½ cups flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp kosher salt (heaping)
1 cup butter, room temperature is best
½ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla
1 large egg
2 cups chocolate chips – milk or dark chocolate whatever you love
½ cup Hershey’s Skor Toffee Bits

Directions: 

Preheat oven to 3500.

Combine flour, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips & skor bits in a bowl.  Set aside.

Cream butter, brown sugar, egg & vanilla until fluffy.

Add flour, chocolate chips and skor bits on a low speed until flour mixes in.

Use a small ice cream scoop to make cookie balls about ¼ cup.

Place on parchment lined (always!) cookie sheets.  NOTE: The cookies spread quite a lot. I have large (16”x21.5”) sheets and I put 15 on each sheet (the recipe makes 30 large cookies) – so judge accordingly.
Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Remove from oven, let cool and place on plate for the big guy.  I used a “fancy” glass for his milk but these would also go very nicely with a glass of scotch (which Santa may really enjoy as he works so hard one day a year;)

My only fear with these cookies is that Santa may not leave to make it around the world delivering gifts, but make them anyways because they are so good.

Ho Ho Ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment