Saturday, December 29, 2012

Keep Busy During The Hockey Strike Jerseys!



Are you depressed about the hockey strike?  Feeling bored watching curling – and please don’t get me wrong I really love watching curling but understand that not everyone shares this pastime.  There is a small ray of sunshine because the world juniors are on and according to news headlines there are some sparks of hope in the NHL talks this weekend.  But if you need something to occupy your time...

No worries.  I have a great project to keep you occupied until the strike is over.

I have made these sport jerseys for baseball, soccer and hockey.  I have made these with different names and numbers for a team party, the ones above were individually wrapped for table place cards at a Bar Mitzvah.  It is time consuming cookie but with no hockey to watch, you most probably have plenty of time on your hands I’m sure.  These are such a great cookie idea for the sports fans in your life.  They will love all the time you took to make them something unique and fun. Maybe they will forget about the whole NHL strike.

They are really fun to make and here is how I did it.

Materials Needed for Decorating:

- jersey or tshirt cookie cutter (I used the large Tshirt from Copper Gifts – one of my favorite and versatile cookie cutters)
- fondant
- gel past to colour some of the royal icing (I used royal blue)
- royal icing – as always, I really like the Ateco meringue powder
- piping bags

Instructions and Tips:

Use your favorite sugar cookie recipe and cut out the t-shirts.

Outline each cookie -- I used #2 tip and royal blue icing.
 
While the outline is drying, get your numbers cut and organized.  Colour the fondant if you need to, roll out and cut the numbers.  Set aside for use after the cookie is flooded.
NOTE:  I like the Satin Ice fondant and because I don't use often I usually use white and colour as I require but if you have coloured fondant so you can skip this step.  You might also have a shirt that is coloured so white numbers would look great.  One thing I should mention is that if you are want black or red numbers, buy the coloured fondant because it is not so easy to get a good red or black unless it is pre-made.

Fill or flood the cookies.  I like using the squeeze bottles because it is so much cleaner then a piping bag when flooding cookies.
Use a toothpick or bamboo skewer to pull the icing to fill the cookie.  If you just use the squeeze bottle there is a chance that you will overflood the cookie – it is always a fine line between the perfectly flooded cookie and a cookie that is over flowing with icing.  The toothpick “pull” really helps ensure an evenly flooded cookie.

Want another trick?  I use a Silpat when decorating cookies so they don’t slip around.

Using a slightly thiner royal icing than the outline, add details on the sleeve and bottom of the Tshirt.

Carefully place the fondant numbers on the Tshirt.  I sometimes use tweezers to put these kind of things on my cookies -- and, yes, they are tweezers I use only for cookies;)
Let the cookies dry overnight.
Using a writing tip -- I like LOVE PME 1.5, write the name on the shirt.  I don't know why but when I use PME 1.5 my letters are so much better.  

Hockey strike or just for fun, if you make these cookies for the sport lover in your life, please let me know how they turn out.


No comments:

Post a Comment