Monday, July 18, 2011

Too Wet to Play? Make "Cat In the Hat" Cookies!


Do you remember Dr. Seuss' “The Cat In the Hat”?  It was one of my favorite books as a kid.  Well it was one of those days.  “The sun did not shine.  It was too wet to  play.  So I sat in the house, all this cold, cold wet day.” (OK so its mid-July and really really hot in Toronto but don't rain on my blog...) Here is the twist, I sat and decorated these cookies and here is how I did it.

Use your favorite sugar cookie recipe.  Roll out the dough.  I got this cookie cutter from CheapCookieCutters.com.  The cookies are about 3.5” x 2” – so the cookies are a nice size to decorate and not too huge to eat.

Materials Needed for Decorating:

royal icing – Again, I’m really into the Ateco meringue powder
piping bags
gel colours -- I used red, black & white
 
1.  Outline the cookie and create the stripes in black.

2.  Fill in the white stripes.

3.  Fill in the red stripes.






Creating these cookies may keep you and your kids out of trouble with Thing One and Thing Two, and, I think they are really fun.


1 comment:

  1. Very cute. Thanks for showing us how you made them. I am going to purchase this cookie cutter. Kathy

    ReplyDelete