Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Super Bowl, Love & Chocolate - A February Trio

I really know NOTHING about Football but I know the Super Bowl is a BIG deal (or, depending on your intonation, big DEAL) and it is on Sunday February 6, 2011.


People throw parties on Super Bowl Sunday -- and where there are parties, there needs to be cookies. So, I made these chocolate sugar cookies in the shape of footballs and hearts to appease all football fanatics and their loved ones -- because everyone knows that the way to someone's heart, who is totally disinterested in football, is with chocolate.  And, the best part is that these cookies totally taste like brownies.

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup all-purpose flour


Preheat oven to 375.
Beat together butter, brown sugar, cocoa powder, milk and vanilla until well combined.
Beat in baking soda and flour.
Shape dough in a ball.
Roll out on cocoa and flour mixture (just a bit so the dough does not stick to the work surface).
Shape and bake for 5 minutes.

The footballs are not super huge, and while I am a super fan of the big sugar cookie, I still think these are a nice sized cookie.  The recipe is not very big but can be doubled (and I don't say that about very many recipes).
To decorate I used royal icing, a #6 tip for the football ends and a #3 tip for the laces.

I really liked the way the cookies came out and bagged up with 12 perfectly yummy brownie football cookies in a bag.
But I realized they needed a bit more love so I added in a chocolate heart with white frosting and pink & red heart sprinkles -- because really LIFE IS BETTER WITH SPRINKLES!
However you spend February 6 or 14 or any day in February for that matter, try to include some love & chocolate to warm up this otherwise cold and dreary month.  It just dawned on me that that is perhaps why the Super Bowl and Valentine's Day are in February.
And, while the Super Bowl and Valentine's Day seem far away, they really are just around the corner, so if you are interested in ordering cookies, send me a quick note to arrange.

Don't forget to sign up to follow Flour Child on Facebook  -- not that I have really figured out what that means 100% but I do have a site that is working.  I think you can even sign up on the blog and all comments are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment